Essentials of Municipal Finance for Everyone
May 1, 2017
Deadline to Register: April 17th
Region of Peel
10 Peel Centre Drive, Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
Click here to Register
This workshop is hosted by Zone 4 and is being held in conjunction with the Spring zone meeting! (Zone meeting May 2, 2017)
This one-day workshop is designed to provide insights into the basic aspects of Municipal Finance and Accounting. It will define the difference between bookkeeping and accounting and will evolve into an understanding of the differences between financial accounting and managerial accounting that aids municipal professionals in the day to day departmental operations.
Discussions will focus on the shifting emphasis of accounting as well as with the changing emphasis and need for short-term and long-term financial planning. The workshop will discuss and explain the regulations for various municipal accounting and reporting practices along with the pressures being applied for more strategic financial planning. How all of this relates to your operational functions and departments will also be explored and discussed.
What you will Learn:
• An appreciation for accounting practices and financial management in the public sector
• Understand the legislation that pertains to municipal accounting and finance
• Understand the concepts of internal controls
• Understand the essential aspects of budgeting
• Appreciate the importance of taxation and other revenues
• Recognize the growing focus and importance of financial planning for municipal operations
This Workshop will allow those who have had limited exposure to municipal finance thus far in their career to gain a better understanding of the essential elements of municipal accounting and reporting. Discussion of relevant and timely issues will provide useful context and background. Valuable tips from hands-on experiences for creating a positive environment for effective municipal finance and financial reporting for your department and/or municipality will be addressed.
Who Should Attend:
• New or recently hired municipal employees
• New professionals to the municipal sector
• Students of AMCTO’s Diploma in Municipal Administration Program
• Provincial employees seeking for a better understanding of municipal finance
• Managers & elected officials looking to gain greater insight into the various financial functions
• Stakeholders involved in public sector municipal administration & management
This Workshop will be of interest to municipal directors, managers, elected officials, department heads & others seeking to gain a better understanding of the fundamentals & importance of municipal finance.
About the Instructor :
Tony Haddad is the Chief Administrative Officer for the Town of Tecumseh. Previously, he served as the Director, Business Planning & Budgets for York Region.
Tony holds a graduate degree in business administration and is an accomplished municipal administrator with over 30 years of experience dedicated to providing support and advice to Senior Management and Council in single tier, lower tier and regional municipalities. He brings a collaborative and innovative approach to the delivery of municipal programs and services.
He has had direct public service delivery and managerial responsibility for a wide-range of municipal portfolios as a CAO, General Manager, Deputy Treasurer, Director and Senior Manager in the areas of financial administration, budgets, governance and public transit. He is a Director with OMAA, Co-chair of the ONWARD Initiative and is also a past president of the AMCTO.